Elephant foot yam (suran/ jimi kanda) is a versatile root vegetable which has amazing health benefits. This recipe is my another attempt to bring the nutritious yam to my children’s plate with a delicious twist. It can be a crowd-pulling appetiser for all ages alike.
- ½ kg yam
- ¾ cup besan or powdered oats
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp chopped green chillies
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Bread crumbs for coating
- Peel and chop the yam. Boil the chopped yam pieces in a pressure cooker until mush(it took me 3 whistles), once done – mash it.
- Add all the ingredients except the bread crumbs. Mix well.
- Take a little ball of the mixture and shape them into a patty.
- Once all the patties are ready, coat them well in breadcrumbs and freeze them for 30 minutes.
- Shallow fry the patties until golden brown on each side.
Serve hot with tomato ketchup or green chutney.