This tomato pickle is very yummy and easy to make. It goes well with both Paratha and Dosa. I learned this recipe from my Hubby’s Aunt, Padma Atta. Recipes which I learn from someone special always stays in my heart.
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 3-4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 2 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 tsp coriander (dhaniya) seeds (optional)
- 5-6 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 red chillies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- Curry leaves
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- Wash and dry tomatoes then cut small pieces, add salt and let it boil in a pan(see Pic1). It takes around 40 mins until all the water dries up.
- Meanwhile, dry roast methi, jeera and dhania seeds and grind it to make fine powder.
- After the tomatoes are reduced to thick paste (see Pic2) add tamarind paste, red chilli powder and spice powder(prepared in step 2). Mix and cook for another 10 mins.
- For tempering, heat oil in a small pan and put all the other tempering ingredients and let it splutter, then add to the tomato paste.
- Pickle is ready. Need to keep it in the fridge for longer use(around 15days). It remains good without refrigeration for 4-5 days.