I know not everyone is fond of Karela. Khatta Meetha Karela Sabzi has very little bitterness but is full of flavours. I say one must try this sabzi. Bitter gourd has lot of good properties and this recipe has little tangy and sweet taste which is simply awesome.
- 5-6 Karela/ bitter gourd
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder
- Oil for frying
- Salt as per taste
- Peel the bitter gourd, deseed and make thin slices. Fry bitter gourd in oil until golden and crispy. Take them in a bowl.
- Now in the same pan fry onions till translucent add ginger garlic paste and fry.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, and tamarind pulp. Keep frying.
- Add coriander powder and fry more. Pour half cup of water and let all spices mix properly.
- Add fried Karela (bitter gourd) and jaggery. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with roti or rice.
- If you want to remove bitterness, soak the karela (bitter gourd) pieces with one tbsp of salt for 10 minutes and wash the pieces.
- Adjust spices according to your taste.