Making a Gingerbread house is a long process. Making the dough, chilling it, making patterns, baking, assembling with eggless royal icing and finally after two days it is ready to decorate. The joy and satisfaction of making everything from scratch is immense. A small bakeineering. Can you believe I made ten gingerbread houses and decorated them with 10 kids.
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice (mix of cinnamon,nutmeg,cloves)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds (mix with 2tbsp water)
- ½ cup dark molasses
- 1 tbsp water
- Whisk dry ingredients
- Beat the butter and sugar for 2mins.Then mix other wet ingredients and beat.
- Mix the wet with the dry ingredients, and the dough is thick.
- Divide the dough and flatten it into a disc and wrap each disc.
- Chill the dough for 3hrs or overnight.
- Roll each dice about ¼ inch thick
- Cut out using template shapes with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Bake at 177 degrees celsius for 12 to 15mins.
Ingredients for Eggless Royal Icing:
- 9 tbsp chickpea brine from can
- 4 cups icing sugar
- Whisk chickpea water until foam then add icing sugar 400 gm, continue on high speed until thick and glossy.
- Can keep for few days covering at room temperature.