Boorelu is a famous festive dessert in Andhra Pradesh cuisine. The stuffing is made with cooked chana dal mixed with jaggery and the outer covering is Urad dal (whole Black gram) and rice batter. Boorelu are deep fried. It is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- 1 cup bengal gram
- 1 ¼ cup grated jaggery
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup whole black gram/Urad dal
- Oil for deep frying
- A pinch of salt
- Soak black gram and rice for 4 hours, drain it and then grind it with very little water. Batter should have thick consistency. Mix sugar and salt and keep aside.
- Cook chana dal in a pressure cooker until soft, next mash it.
- Boil grated jaggery in 3 tbsp of water and pour over the mashed dal. Cook until the mixture becomes thick. Add cardamom powder and mix.Let it cool completely.
- Make small balls of the stuffing, dip into the batter and deep fry in oil. Serve hot.