Methi (Fenugreek leaves) is very good for bone health, heart, promotes healthy hair etc., benefits are endless. Turai looks like a very boring vegetable but has many health benefits. You must try Methi Turai sabzi then maybe it is going to be your next favourite sabzi.
- 650gms or 4-5 medium size (Turai) Ridge gourd
- 1 cup fresh methi leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp Split yellow moong dal
- ½ cup onions chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Salt as per taste
- ½ inch ginger chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or any vegetable oil
- Peel and slice Turai (ridge gourd).
- Soak moong dal for 15 mins.
- Remove Methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) from the stem, clean and chop.
- In a wok, heat oil, fry soaked moong daal, add ginger, onions and methi leaves and keep sauteing.
- Add salt,turmeric powder,chilli powder, finally add Turai slices and keep frying for a minute.
- Close the lid. Turai releases water and gets cooked in about 15-20 minutes. Keep stirring in between and check for doneness.
- Serve with roti or rice.
- Some Turai are bitter so taste the end slices on both sides before using for cooking. For best results get tender Turai.